Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips

Posted on: October 14th, 2014 by Ashton Service Group
Carbon Monoxide Detector

                                          Carbon monoxide detector

 

Furnaces that burn natural gas keeps you and your family warm in the winter, but if the furnace malfunctions, or if your chimney or vent is blocked, the carbon monoxide that is a product of combustion can make you and your family sick and can be fatal.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be very similar to the flu but you do not get a fever.

Symptoms can include: headaches, fatigue, shortness of breath and nausea. Carbon monoxide is a colourless, poisonous gas that you can neither smell nor see. That’s why it is very important that you have working CO detectors in your home especially in areas where people sleep.

Note that CO detectors do have a shelf life and need to be replaced every 5 to 10 years depending on the manufacturer.

  • Make sure to use a licensed gas fitter contractor to check the heat exchanger in your furnace during the annual furnace maintenance to ensure there are no cracks in it.
  • ALWAYS keep the furnace fan compartment doors and/or the filter access panel in place.
  • Check that outside air ducts are clear. Be sure to clean bug screens before every heating season.
  • Ensure that an external vent is used for all gas appliances that are designed to be vented.
  • Keep the area around your furnace clear for proper air circulation.

If you suspect that your home may have carbon monoxide, open all your doors and windows, go outside for fresh air and contact FortisBC or a qualified gas contractor to inspect your home.

To schedule your furnace maintenance, please call Ashton Service Group at 604-275-0455.

Share Button